Looking at the 2012 Representative Assembly of the nation's largest teachers' organization, the National Education Association, here's a quick summary of the union's priorities --or not. They refuse to consider some issues important, even life and death matters, yet take a look at what they focus on instead as important issues in "education" and what their millions of dollars of teachers' dues will be used to support:
- They DEFEATED an amendment to Resolution I-13, which stated, "The Association will oppose any efforts to promote gender-based discrimination through sex-selection abortion." It was defeated soundly with a voice vote. So this group APPROVES of abortions of girls just because they are girls, and boys just because they are boys.
- They PASSED a New Business Item D on "Social Justice" which highlighted ethnic minority issues and then proceeded to imply that homosexuality is like race, by incorporating the need for a "dialogue" on the "unique issues of LGBTQ" students and teachers. Many other leftist concerns were piled into this measure, including "partnering with other progressive organizations to expand our collective voice in aggressively addressing these injustices: voter suppression, cultural competence, language and cultural preservation, equity and opportunity, racial profiling, the prison pipeline, immigration reform, and discrimination against LGBTQ ethnic minorities."
- New Business Item 46--"NEA President, Dennis Van Roekel, will write a letter urging the U.S. Department of Education to spend more dollars for research that illustrates the causes and effects of bullying both inside and outside of the classroom and expand and build upon the instruments and reporting mechanisms of bullying to improve our understanding of how bullying translates to homophobia in society." Nothing about other types of bullying, for instance, of a child who is overweight, or of one who is disabled. These folks are laser-focused on pointing the blame at anyone with traditional sexual moral values, also known as "homophobia" ( in their strange worldview). And apparently, the NEA now considers their jurisdiction for this "blame game" to extend far outside the classroom, using the U.S. DOE as their change agent. Van Roekel has already personally endorsed a curriculum for grade school children to promote homosexuality and transgendered lifestyles, "Welcoming Schools," produced by the nation's largest homosexual activist group, the Human Rights Campaign. This curriculum excludes any family or student with conservative, traditional moral values.
- New Business Item 47--"NEA will, using existing resources, clearly identify successful interventions to LGBTQ taunting and specifically outline the roles of school administrators and personnel to help make LGBTQ students and staff feel safe and have equal access to an education." The rationale and background came from the discredited and invalid "School Climate Survey" of GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network. This survey is an online survey anyone can take, yet it purports to be representative of "students." It is also administered and analyzed internally by this homosexual advocacy group. So, zero objectivity and lots of room for fraud.
- New Business Item 53 -- the NEA supports ObamaCare. The union has encouraged a universal single payer health care program for many years. Apparently that includes the forced mandate to pay for abortions and abortion-causing drugs even if it violates one's conscience. At the convention, the union reaffirmed its intention to support this and incorporate government -run health care into teaching contracts.